Creative learning through Music
- Create whole class original compositions supporting classroom work
- Flexible, inclusive approach
- No prior need to read music or play an instrument
Experienced musician and teacher Gordon Turnbull leads The Flow Music Workshops and delivers successful participatory music-making activities in Primary Schools and the community across central and southern Scotland.
The Flow Music Workshops
- Provide opportunities to engage in the curriculum through creative music-making experiences that involve self-expression, creativity, group and whole class work.
- Cover cross-curricular themes including Health and Wellbeing, Literacy and Expressive Arts; adaptable on request.
- Provide support material to allow the workshop themes and ideas to continue in the classroom.
These workshops have cross-curricular themes and meet Curriculum for Excellence criteria. The workshops are designed to complement work in the classroom and to act as a stimulus for work in other curriculum areas.
Workshop legacy: A teacher’s support sheet of suggested activities is provided provided for teachers, allowing them expand on the themes in the classroom through writing, art, drama, PSD, topic work and music.
FM Music and Stories (P1-3)
- Children create and develop a musical response to a story, working together towards a class performance. Currently featuring Health and Wellbeing, this can be adapted to a class book or story on request. (P1-P3, Additional Support Needs).
Duration: 3 x 1hr sessions
FM Composition & Songwriting (P4-7)
- Focusing on a class novel or topic, children demonstrate their understanding by working together to write, arrange, perform and record their own songs or musical response. Adaptable on request. (P4-7, ASN, Transition)
Duration: 3 x 2 hr sessions
FM Surround Sound (P4-6)
- Considering music inspired by nature, the origins of music and instruments and concludes with a group performance using instruments made from found natural objects. Adaptable on request (P4-6, John Muir Award). Duration: 1 x 2 hr session
FM Magical Music (ASN)
- Participants have a chance to express themselves by exploring sounds, rhythms and textures using a variety of instruments and create a group performance. Adaptable on request. Duration: 1 x 2 hr session